29 November 2006

What really matters

Is their anything in this life and world that I believe is worth dying for? I really don't know. I believe one of my biggest enemies in the season of life I am in today is indifference. And this bothers me big time. I want to care more and better. It bothers me that quite often I don't care or, if I do care, it's more an a rational level.
"So, you're going through a depression"? "Wow, I am very sorry for you (and am sort of glad that I'm doing sort of okay)". "Man, I really feel (rationally) for you". The fact of the matter is that I would like to have an emotional response but it's just not there. So, am I sick? Do I need help?
"Look, there's another 200 Iraqi's blown into eternity", "O boy, wasn't that plaincrash spectacular".

I think it has to do with the lack of relationships. 1500 people in my personal database. A mile wide, but only inch deep relationships (if that's what they are).

Jesus, whenever he SAW the crowds, His heart filled with compassion. He engaged! That was his His secret. Even God needs to overcome the distance in order to feel!

If I really want to change and cause a change in other people's life I need to decide to go deep. To really engage. I can't see any other way.
What really matters are relationships.

Epicurus (341–270 B.C), a Greek philisopher who supposedly lived for pleasure and giving in to carnal cravings, and got heaviliy critisised for it, says that matter doesn't mean a thing if you don't have friends: "it is of greater importance whom you eat and drink with than what you want to eat and drink. Because without a friend our life is feeding a lion or a wolf".

No comments:

Post a Comment