30 October 2006

Time is Crap

A friend of mine responded to my last blog (did Jesus evangelise). He wrote:

“For Jesus sharing the love of His Father with lost people - up to His death on the cross - was the ultimate reason to come to earth as a man.
I agree therefore that Jesus did not "switch on" and "switch off" evangelism, but he did deliberately CHOOSE at times to walk away from the crowd and spend quality time with His Father - even for Him this seemed to be a condition for continuous effective outreach. This is the other side of the same coin.
Shouldn't we follow His example?”

If we don’t choose in life, we will do what comes natural and for many people that would be wasting time.

If we don’t choose and /or prioritize, how we spend our time reflects our true values. Some typical western values related to “waste”? By the way, isn’t it an appropriate term “wasting time”? Waste is garbage. It’s obsolete or unnecessary stuff that you throw out. I think you'd agree with me that time is the most valuable resource we have but still many treat time like crap!

  • Sleeping heaps longer that our body needs. Six-Eight hours is enough for our bodies (okay there’s probably a few exceptions). Sleeping ten hours means that you have wasted at least two valuable hours. That’s a quarter book, exercise and prayer! Yes, that’s what I did while you were sleeping. It’s a choice. Time is valuable.
    The bible has some radical stuff to say. In Proverbs 6:9-11 we read:
    How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest- and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man.
  • It’s all about me and myself. Individualism is good in one sense. God has made me unique and is interested in me; wants me to walk with Him, interact with Him, get to know Him better and better. Yet life is more than just about me. It’s about God through me, blessing others. Blessed to be a blessing. Spending time with others, learning and living in community is a Kingdom value. Our houses are Gods houses, our tables are His tables, our time is His time. Spending to much time (who’s going to define “to much”) alone, is not good for us.
  • Because I live in the kingdom of the World I tend to spend a lot of time on and in worldly things. Unless and until the Kingdom of God becomes real for me. If I am to “flesh out” the kingdom of God in this World. I need First of all to understand how the Kingdom of God operates and when this becomes real to me it will affect the way I spend my time and I will find myself choosing to spend time alone with the Father

Anyway, it’s a bit of a funny blog. It hardly makes sense. But I wanted to write it because I don’t do the Jesus stuff naturally. I need to spend time with Him first. And that’s how I get excited about doing life the way He did it. Then, I don’t spend time with the Father because it’s the right thing to do but because I realize that my whole life and everything I do and the way I do it depends on that very decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment