27 August 2007

The meeker, the more

Blessed are the meek. They will inherit the land.
What on earth is Jesus talking about?
See the salespitch? Wanted: Meek people to get free land.
Mirror, mirror, on the wall; who's the meekest of them all?

Global Competitions will start. TV-shows will pitch in; there's money in the meek! Let the people decide. Let's have them vote.
Fights will start. people disagreeing with each other, with the jury, with the people: who do they think tey are to decide for me that I am less meek that that other selfproclaimed "meek" ( we all know he's a jerk, he's just slick and knows how to play the audience). I should have won. I know that in my heart I am meeker... the meekest.

A zoo.

Jesus.

The meek will inherit. A true "meek" has no ambition to inherit whatever land. He'd rather give it away. His ambition is not in the land. His ambition is to serve the true and only God.
A genuine "meek" seeks to please God.
What Jesus is saying is that 'the land' is for those whose hearts are with the King of that land.
Jesus broadens the horizon of His disciples minds: 'You thought the land was for those that happened to belong to God's chosen people? Those that play according to the rules of the Pharisees and the scribes? It's for those whose hearts have been changed and softend by God's spirit.'

Meekness; I want it. Not because of the land.
Meekness; I want it because I realise that my heart is not meek. It's hard and judgmental and full of prejudice. I need change. I need God to touch and change nmy heart. Make me meek because there's no natural meekness in me. What is in me is self preservation and narcissisme. Forgive me!

Yet, the meek are promised the land.
Why land?
Because God intended the land to be occupied by 'meek' people. People that are kind and tender to the environment and to each other. People that hate exlpoitation but rather are filled with genuine care for Gods creation and His people.
The meek and Gods land go hand in hand. That's His original intended package.
You know what?
I long for that land.

No comments:

Post a Comment