18 August 2007

Mourning

If Jesus says that those who mourn will be comforted, does it also work the other way around? Like if I'm looking for comfort I should try to mourn harder?
Comfort is good, you see. I love receiving comfort when I mourn. I don't reject it, I welcome it.

Like when my mother died, and when my sister died, my wife comforted me. How did she do that? By speaking soothing words or telling be that everything would be "allright"? Praise the Lord that she didn't.
She just held me. No words. Just being there for me and let me be. I'll talk when I want to talk. I'll cry when I want to cry but for now, just hold me.
It's as if the burden get a little lighter.

When His disciples heard his words, what picture came to their minds? Was it a picture of them feeling sorry for themselves? Did they, from this moment on, feel their spirits lifted up whenever they had a bad hairday because Jesus felt sorry for them? The Good Shepherd came to make us happy and feel happy, didn't he? Well?
I believe they saw the picture painted to us in Is. 61, where it talks about people who mourn because of Gods absence in society and in the lives of His beloved.
It's about people in pain because of the destructive power of sin in our lives and in the heart of society.

The Good news of the return of the Kingdom is a comforting message and reality. It is here! It is now!
Yes, amidst compromised lives and a compromised creation there is a rebuilding talking place. Things will get better but we don't have to passively wait for it to happen. They already are getting better.

If I look back at 25 years of marriage I see the redemptive power of the Kingdom through Jesus at work. From a hopeless, selfcentered case God has changed me, and continues to change me. I am a better husband and a better father than 10, 15, 20, 25 years ago.
Yet, I'm not there yet. The changes are slow and I have a long way to go. I am thankfull, so thankfull for this reality in my life.
Yet, I cry, I mourn.
For more...

No comments:

Post a Comment