21 September 2007

Merciful

After following Jesus for 28 years I should know better.
Yet, I struggle with the whole concept and practise of mercy. It's relatively easy to show mercy and love to those that I don't have a relationship with. To fill the hand of a beggar, to pray with a stranger in need; no problem. I'm not expecting anything in return and it feels good, rewarding and fullfilling.
To be mercifull and loving towards those that I feel could, and should give something in return is a different story. The mud that some of Gods people (quite often unknowingly because "they are so right") are quick to throw at people (including me) makes it a real challenge to extend mercy to them.
Often I feel more like spraying paint in their noses, ears and eyes, or even worse, a more definite and therefore permanent disabling from certain (or all) faculties.

Yet, I so much desire to be a gracious and mercifull person. Because I want people to be mercifull to me and because I know it reflects Gods character. And wherever Gods character is reflected and demonstrated, people will be build up. They change.
God, help me to get the hang of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment